This spring, I was honored to attend to the needs of a man in hospice care.
On the day before his death, the final day I worked for the family, I
sat in a quiet house, watching the rare moments of rest that his wife had gotten
in the final weeks of her husbands life.
In that time if reflection, I wrote my thoughts in hopes of eventually being
able to share with his family what I had witnessed.
Possibly now is the time.
04/18/2008
My client is 85 years old. After 20 years of health problems, culminating in this, his last days, hospice care progresses slowly to his inevitable end.
He is by all accounts an inspirational father, husband, hobbyist, tradesman, and friend.
It has been an honor to have opportunity to be a part of this ornate tradition of passing a loved one. Though I have known this family but a short time, I am impressed with their loyalty, perseverance, and steadfastness as they love him and cherish his soul through these trials and rigors.
His wife and daughters wake at all hours to maintain his finite schedule of medications and care procedures. Tirelessly, their lives seemingly on hold- but this is their lives- part of it all is caring for and honoring a man who's life was spent caring for them, loving them. As difficult as the tasks at hand appear, a life of loyalty, love, and family is paid and repaid at times like these; times when their caring is needed the most.
This wonderful man sits hunched on his side, propped precariously to relieve sores from immobility. His spirit, his consciousness clings to something. He must know somewhere inside that his days are lived.He is left wanting for the knowledge that all will be taken care of. He must hope for the security and safety of his wife. 63 years of marriage brings him to today wishing it was he that tirelessly cared for her, loving her and tending to every comfort.
The ticking of the clock keeps on, the oxygen machine counts off the seconds, and the moment will come. Release. Solace. Warmth. This wonderful man's summer sun will shine warmly on us all after this long, cold winter.